Monday, May 22, 2017

What's Good for the Goose

I’m not super familiar with Ready for the World’s entire music catalog, but I am pretty sure every single song they ever sang was about wanting to have sex, thinking about sex or straight up having sex. 

Just look at these guys.


Capes, loafers, the whole shebang, they are ready to go. And all those medals they're wearing? I'm guessing they're for sweet, sweet lovemaking.

I know they have way dirtier songs (Love You Down? Human Toy? Yo! That's a Lot of Body?) but their chart-topping hit “Oh Sheila” will always be a front runner for me.

Most notably because of that time when an old boyfriend danced and lip synced this song in its entirety to me on Valentine’s Day, 1980-something. Also the “oh-oh-oh-oh Sheila” part induced hip thrusts and gyrations by teenage boys and girls at various teen night clubs around the world, I'm sure. It did at least at Faces Teen Night Club in Tampa Florida.

Also this song changed the way I will forever hear the phrase “What’s good for the goose is good for the gander.” 




I'm not sure what philosopher/writer/smart person actually came up with that one but for anyone who went to those teen nightclubs we will go ahead and continue to credit these guys. Not that it comes up in conversation a lot but when it does, I’ll always repeat it in my head in a poorly executed cockney accent. 

I haven't met a Sheila in years, but next time I do be assured it'll be hard for me not to throw in a hip thrust (or three) along with my handshake.

2 comments:

  1. "And all those medals they're wearing? I'm guessing they're for sweet, sweet lovemaking." LOL. My favorite line from this post! I too also use a poor cockney accent whenever I think or hear or say that phrase so it's nice to know I'm not alone. And, I always kind of thought of Ready For the World as the illegitimate love child of the Jackson's and the DeBarge's. Maybe that's just me though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels good on this end not to be alone as well! They were also super shiny/sweaty/just plain wet. It's a lot of work being that SEXY.

      Delete