Friday, May 16, 2014

The ballad of the power ballad.

You love a good ‘80s power ballad, right? Every Rose Has its ThornLove Bites, I Wanna Know What Love Is, I Can't Fight This Feeling, pretty much anything by Heart, etc. 

But what do you do when it’s fallin’ apart? And you knew it was gone from the very start? 

You close your eyes, and you dream of these underrated, awesome, dramatic kinda/sorta hits of the decade.

“When You Close Your Eyes” – Night Ranger.
Sister Christian be damned, this is by far my favorite Night Ranger song.



The guitar lick at the beginning, the dra-ma-tic  video with the couple who looks a little too old to be going to the prom, the guys in the band with better bangs than I had, and…a monkey? Yep, a monkey drinking coffee. It's the '80s. Oh and the girl longingly looking out the window with a houseful of kids, reminiscing about what could have been…sigh. I just love this song you guys.

Favorite line: Naturally, the “I remember we learned about love in the back of a Chevrolet…well it felt so good to be young, feels like yesterday” part.


“The Search is Over” – Survivor.
Oh my goodness Survivor, who knew you and your Eye of the Tiger tough-guy ways had a soft side?


The video kind of had a creepy vibe with him constantly lurking over his "friend" sleeping in bed. Come on you idiot -- she's hot! She likes you! The search is over! SHE WAS WITH YOU ALL THE WHILE.

Favorite line: “So if you ever loved me, show me that you give a damn, you'll know for certain the man I really am.”

Anything off the "Air Supply’s Greatest Hits" tape.
If you say you didn't have this cassette tape in 1983 I'm sorry, I don’t know if I believe you.


It’s hard to choose just one song off of a greatest hits compilation because all of them are truly…great. I know, I know…sap-city, but great in their own Air Supply way! Even the Nights are Better, Every Woman in the World, Here I Am, and the incomparable Making Love Out of Nothing at All. 

This video...holy crap. Really bad acting! Photographs coming to life! Smoke machines! Jumpsuits! Mullets! Afros! This video has everything! 




The only thing that would make it better would be if they got that monkey from the Night Ranger video!

Favorite line: But I'm never gonna make it without you, do you really want to see me crawl? And I'm never gonna make it like you do, making love out of nothing at all."

Did you love any of these as much as I did? *sigh* These songs still yank my whammy bar and strike the ultimate power ballad chord in my heart.

And I'm not ashamed to admit that Night Ranger one can still make me cry. 

2 comments:

  1. Okay ... I'm going to admit it. One of my college roommates fell asleep to the Air Supply tape every night. And he didn't have headphones ... he just played the tape really, really softly. I hated him for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, dear. I can't imagine you tolerating this Grant -- it makes me giggle.

      Delete