Friday, January 31, 2014

Hard habit to break.

Last Sunday evening, while patiently waiting to see what was going to happen between Anna and Mr. Bates Downton Abbey, I decided to stop on the Grammys to see what the hell is going on in the world of music today. 

In my brief viewing time I made these few observations:
  • I think I like Macklemore.
  • Madonna totally looked like the Quaker Oats guy.
  • Daft Punk is two robots.
I got excited when I heard “And right after the break, CHICAGO…” 

They sounded great, doing a medley of their ‘70s hits with Robin Thicke of all people.
Hey, hey, hey...it totally worked.

My Dad listened to the old school Chicago - the horns, the “Does Anyone Really Know What Time It Is”, the “A man selling ice cream…singing Italian songs…” Chicago.

Can you feel it?
Yes, I can.

But my Chicago, the songs and lyrics that truly have stuck with me are the sappy-sweet, 1980s, Peter Cetera-era Chicago.
FIRST CONCERT EVER.

With Valentine’s Day just a few weeks away how can you not put on one of the following songs and be transported to a school dance, a first date or a romantic dinner. Or if you’re me the back of a big yellow school bus, in distress bawling your eyes out.

Hard to Say I’m Sorry.
I was like 12 when this song out and my family was prepping for a move from NY to FL, this song always makes me think of that time in my life. That super-difficult transition during tween-dom, not a kid anymore…not a teenager yet (a perfect time for a move across the country.) It talks a lot about being “far away” and going on a “holiday” and how “I just want you to stay.” Waaaah.

SOUL CRUSHING LYRIC: 
“Couldn’t stand to be kept away, just for the day, FROM YOUR BOOODY.”

Hard Habit to Break.
Standard crying on the bus fare here. I had just broken up with my first actual boyfriend Albert, back in ’82 when this tearjerker came out. The local radio station had a call in show in the evenings where you could dedicate songs to others and I dedicated this song to Albert. A LOT.

SOUL CRUSHING LYRIC: 
“Being without you takes a lot of getting used to. Should learn to live with it. I DON’T WANT TO.”

You’re the Inspiration.
Ahhh, the King of the crying to Chicago on the bus songs! Also released in 1984 and also makes me think of the aforementioned ex-boyfriend Albert. Cried to this one in a different way since it’s not a break up song…more a song for what could have been between us if he hadn’t of blown it by breaking up with me. 

SOUL CRUSHING LYRIC: 
“You should know, everywhere I go, you’re ALWAYS on my mind, in my heart, in my soul…baby.”

In retrospect the move from NY to FL eventually worked out well - good God, I never would have met Albert if we hadn't moved, right?

Oh, and Albert and I would never have made it - we had nothing in common. He and his family were from Cuba so around them or his friends he barely spoke English to me, which wasn't the best foundation for a relationship. He mostly just made out with me.
 
But our love wasn't meant to be...it wasn't the kind of love that lasts forever.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment