Friday, September 13, 2013

Home box office.

As a little girl I was obsessed with certain movies that I would watch continuously on a loop on HBO at my Grandma and Papa’s house.

Rocky, Mommie Dearest, The Champ, Mask, The Elephant Man, American Graffiti and of course…

GREASE.
Grease was the word.

Looking back at my list above it’s a little kooky for a young girl, isn’t it?

Lots of boxing, a strong focus on the 50’s & 60’s and terrible deformities.

Huh.

We had free HBO (and Cinemax!) this past weekend so of course I was furiously scanning the guide on the DVR to record anything and everything that looked decent (it was FREE!) it got me thinking back to these fine films, sitting on the poop brown pull out couch in the “den” at my grandparents.

Rocky.
Why I love this movie:

  • It’s the ultimate underdog story.
  • It’s beautifully and naturally acted.
  • It sparked an interest for me in both boxing and in Sylvester Stallone.
  • It made me want two turtles I could name "Cuff" and "Link."
  • Duh, “Yo, Adrian.”
"Ain't gonna be no rematch."
But there will be five sequels.
One with a robot.
 
Mommie Dearest.
Why I love this movie:

  • It’s the campiest movie...ever.
  • A rational, well thought out argument against wire hangers. Also inspired me to immediately scrub everything in sight with Ajax.
  • It had one of the best mother/daughter fight scenes in film history.
  • It made me grateful that I always got to keep all of my birthday presents.
  • Duh, Faye Dunaway.
"Don't fuck with me, fellas."

The Champ.
Why I love this movie:

  • More boxing to feed my “now I like boxing” obsession.
  • It made me cry like so hard I had to leave the den and go into the bathroom for like an hour. I had one of those crying headaches for three days.
  • Jon Voight. And more Faye Dunaway!
  • OH MY GOD THE END OF THE MOVIE.
  • Duh, Ricky Schroder - holy crap.
Three. Day. Headache.
 
Mask.
Why I love this movie:

  • True story.
  • Cher! Laura Dern! Eric Stoltz!
  • Dozer.
  • “My mom says I look like a lion.”
  • Duh, Sam Elliott as GAR.
Moustache rides.
 

The Elephant Man.
Why I love this movie:

  • True story.
  • Beautifully acted, and beautifully filmed in black and white.
  • Oh, how I loved Anne Bancroft in this.
  • Again, made me cry and leave the den to go into the bathroom.
  • Duh, David Lynch.
Aaaand I'm crying again. Thanks a lot, Elephant Man.
 

American Graffiti.
Why I love this movie:

  • Hey, it’s Shirley Feeney and Richie Cunningham!
  • Introduced me to the concept of cruising for boys/carhopping/convertibles.
  • I loved the poster for the movie, I could stare at it all day.
  • Mackenzie Phillips! Suzanne Somers! Richard Dryfus! Harrison Ford!
  • Duh, WOLFMAN JACK.
Where were you in '62?
Umm...not born yet.
 
Grease.
Why I love this movie:

  • Wop ba-ba lu-mop and wop bam boom! Where do I begin??? The cast, the music, the dancing = PERFECTION.
  • Further introduced me to the concept of cruising for boys/carhopping/convertibles.
  • The original 30-somethings-playing-teenagers-in-high-school-movie.
  • “There Are Worse Things I Could Do”, Cha Cha Digregorio, “Where ya goin, to flog yer log?”
  • Duh, JOHN TRAVOLTA.

Damn.
But I also wanted a hickie from Kenickie.
 
There are sooo many others, Popeye, Kramer vs. Kramer, The Shining, Breakin’, Fatso,
Fatso! Why didn't I write about Fatso!?!
I could go on and on.
 
I’ll get to work on the sequel.
 
HBO Childhood Movie Post: Part Deux. The Return.
The Revenge. Electric Boogaloo.
 
Starring Jon Voight, Sylvester Stallone, Jack Nicholson, Wolfman Jack, Faye Dunaway, John Travolta,
The Elephant Man, Robin Williams, that guy who played Dozer in Mask, and Lori Ferraro.

No comments:

Post a Comment