Friday, September 27, 2013

Angel is the centerfold.

As a kid, my love of birthdays was legendary. 

I loved celebrating my brother…
 
Hulk in the Rage Cage!
A rocket!
"a nice suit."
 
My best friend Susie…
 
Ceramcks.
Delisos.
"Bugger King."
 
But mostly I loved celebrating my own birthday.
 
In 1982 I got a lot of stuff for my birthday - a stuffed rainbow to hang on my wall,
Kliban cat sheets, Clown-a-Rounds and a few Smurfs.

But really, I had my eyeballs on one gift and one gift only. 


I wanted the 45, "Centerfold" by the J. Geils Band.

The video was on MTV on a loop. I had it memorized so when I heard the song on American Top 40 I could play the video in my head along with it. I really wanted Peter Wolf to come into my classroom at Brookside Elementary, sit at a little desk next to me and then get up and dance around in his gold shoes.

I wanted to wear a shitload of black eyeliner, have big frizzy hair and walk around him in a circle, wearing only a sweatshirt while clutching my composition book.
 
I kinda still want to do that today.

SEVEN MORE DAYS.
And I'm home alone 'cuz Dad's at work
and Mom's at her Catholic Update meeting.

I pleaded with my diary...please let me get what I want - 
like my diary had the power to go out to Sam Goody and buy me a 45.
 
SIX MORE DAYS.
Opera is boring
"I told you everything I want, and I hope I get it."
 
Judy the babysitter let us stay up until ten and watch Popeye.
But more importantly...
THERE'S A GUY ON THE PRICE IS RIGHT NAMED GEORGE O'CLOCK.
That was totally worth writing down. 

Hello Kitty Friendly Diary came through.
It either used mental telepathy on Mom and Dad or it went to the record store.
 
 It happened.
We had pizza, ate a delicious cake and then we danced like maniacs to this:
 


When I hear this song today I still replay the video in its entirety in my head.
The girls in their black bras and white slips, in their negligées, swearing the girl with the short dark hair was
my hometown hero Martha Quinn, the drum full of milk, all of it.
 
I never got tired of it, I still love it. 

"Yuckey" weather.
I can't believe it's over.
Only 364 days until my birthday.

Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment