Thursday, September 22, 2011

Yet another reason not to go to the gym.

Do you know that giddy feeling you get when you hear or see someone doing something that makes you say “Oh My God, I thought I was the only person who did that/thought that/ate that?

The other night I was listening to a story on public broadcasting (I hate when people say that, but it is true, I was) about a study that shows that women who have naturally curly or kinky hair are not getting enough exercise because they refuse to work out on days that they wash their hair.

HELLLLLOOOOO…this story was speaking directly to me.

I like to work out on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays, because those are “dirty-hair days” for me.

My scalp can sweat away on Tuesday, fine by me.
My hair can take a step class on a Thursday, since it is most likely up in a ponytail already.
My hair can sit in a sauna on a Saturday, because hey, who cares…it’s Saturday.

I never have felt validated about my issues regarding arranging my workout schedule around my hair washing schedule until I heard this piece on the radio. My friends have rolled their eyes when I decline a workout saying, “No, not today, it’s a clean hair day.”

“Who cares about your hair Lori?”

You know who cares? I do.

My friend Kristen suggested just washing my hair on different days so I could walk with her - the thought of that change almost made my head explode.

In that case I wouldn’t have hair to worry about!

Working out with clean hair is like a waste of an hour of my time, like I may as well not have gotten up over an hour early to comb through my knotty wet hair. Do you know how bad it hurts to comb through knotty wet hair at 6:00 in the morning by the way? My life is hard, I know.

Because, if you work out with curly hair at noon by 12:05 you will have a frizzy afro, it’s a fact.

And if you go for a run with clean hair it will become windswept - not in a good, sexy way more in a messy, unruly way.

So don’t make fun of me or make me feel bad for not wanting to work out with you or go for a run on a Wednesday.

Just compliment me on how pretty my hair looks.



I choose these curls.........................over these curls.

No comments:

Post a Comment