Monday, July 25, 2011

Tubby custard.

In the mid-to-late seventies my mother spent her spare time doing what every other mother on the planet was doing in the mid-to-late seventies...

Taking cake decorating classes!

I know this to be a fact since many people have commented that their mothers also made large amounts of doll cakes and they too had frozen roses made out of icing stored in their freezers. I popped those frozen roses like vitamins – my pupils would get huge and I would get that extra burst of energy I needed to get me through the day. Kid crack!

In her classes Mom learned how to make a variety of types of cakes. The one she would always make for my grandmother for her birthday or as a special surprise for Sunday dinner was a custard pie.

Now as a kid, I thought this pie was disgusting.

Wiggly, gelatinous, and milky, I could not see the appeal. My Grandma would sit at the kitchen table with her cup of coffee, a cigarette, and a big old slice of that giggly stuff and go to town, wiping the plate clean with her finger afterwards.

In later years, I wised up and ate the pie. After trying it I was pissed at myself for what I had missed out on all those years! Creamy, vanilla-y, slightly spicy, warm, milky goodness – that is custard pie.

I bought a product the other day that reminded me of mom’s pie.

This product:

• Comes in a giant tub.
• Has a fancy French name.
• Looks like vanilla custard.

How could I not love it?

Kiehl’s Creme de Corps Soy Milk and Honey Whipped Body Butter is billed as being “Luxuriously Whipped and Sinfully Addictive” - it is not lying.

Most Kiehl’s product don’t have that fresh-from-the-oven appeal to me so I don’t really seek them out. But this one is delicious! It is touched with a light milk and honey scent and super moisturizing, yet fluffy and light.

I wasn’t even in the market for a new body cream, but the cute sales guy showed me this and I was all over it, I was walking away with that tub-of-yum.

Another life lesson learned, not to judge a book by its cover.
Even if its cover shakes and wiggles as it sits on your plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment