Monday, June 13, 2011

I’m your ice cream man, stop me when I’m passin’ by.

It’s getting hot out there people.

There is nothing better on a hot day than a bite of a cold ice cream bar from a truck.

Remember as a kid hearing the chimes of the ice cream truck from a distance?

I had Bionic Woman style hearing when it came to tracking the whereabouts of the ice cream truck.

I could make out “The Entertainer” or “Pop Goes the Weasel” from miles and miles away. It was a gift. Other girls could hit a softball really far or sew a button on a blouse; I could tell you how long you had to get off of the banana seat on your bike, demand cash from your parents, and get back outside before the ice cream man was gone.

In New York, we referred to the ice cream man as the Good Humor Man, since we only had a Good Humor Ice Cream truck that drove through our neighborhood. When I think of the Good Humor Man, I think of a guy in a white hat and a black bow tie that made little kids extremely happy with his frozen novelties.

My best friend Susie always got a Strawberry Shortcake Bar, my brother would get a King Cone, and I never strayed from my beloved Toasted Almond Bar. Vanilla ice cream with an almond center surrounded by those little cake-y b.b. pellet pieces on a stick? I was a creature of habit and stuck with what I liked.

A sweet bite of almond-vanilla Heaven on a hot day.

I still love that heavenly almond scent and have found a product that makes me think of my boyfriend the Good Humor Man.

Almond Supple Skin Oil by l’Occitane smells delicious - warm, nutty, and yummy. It goes on beautifully, sinks right in to my skin, and the scent lasts all day long. Supposedly this product can also prevent the formation of stretch marks – which I could get from eating the entire box of Toasted Almond Bars.

But apparently there’s no need for me to worry about that. Well, I will continue to worry about the formation of stretch marks on my bod but not about eating a box of Good Humor.

See, today I went online to the Good Humor website and typed in my zip code. There is nowhere within hundreds and hundreds of miles for me to buy a Toasted Almond Bar.

That does not bring out the good humor in me.

Seriously hot.

1 comment:

  1. I always wanted to see a Good Humor truck in real life, alas in my town they were outlawed. The story is that kids were dashing into the streets so fast to get to the truck that they were getting hit by cars. Urban legend has it that 10 kids died in one summer. My mom says it was one kid who was injured but not killed, but the parents were from an influential neighborhood and wanted the trucks banished.

    The closest I ever came to the Good Humor treats was the sort of sketchy snack shack at the local pool. I lived for those ice cream sandwiches, with the cookie that stuck to your teeth and roof of your mouth. The smell of chlorine, and those treats always signaled summer to me.

    ReplyDelete