Thursday, May 5, 2011

Um, can we talk a little more about vanilla?

I know, I know what you’re saying, “Enough with the vanilla already."

But you have to understand, it is kind of like a drug for me. Vanilla is my (dare I say it) ”signature scent.”
Wasn’t that a line from Steel Magnolias? Lordy if it is...I’m sorry.

I work in an office and last week we all went out for a fancy lunch. It was “Administrative Professionals Day” a kinder, gentler way of saying “Secretary’s Day.”

On this day every year the whole company goes out to one of those fancy, old-school boy’s clubs where we are treated to a buffet that most people go crazy for. Don’t get me wrong when I say I totally appreciate a free lunch. But the idea of pork loin and a baked potato in the middle of the day just doesn’t really do it for me.

Guess what does do it for me?
A DESSERT BUFFET!

While everyone else was chowing down on shrimp cocktail and swordfish, I was secretly saving room for the good stuff. Why waste time on swordfish, who has calories to spare for that?

They baked all the desserts in-house, at this club - lots of fancy-schmancy truffles, petit fours and dark chocolate this and black forest that.

I grabbed my plate and went right towards the three-tiered mama of a coconut cake, vanilla pudding, and topped it all off with a big slab of pound cake with fresh whipped cream (there was a bowl of rhubarb meant to go on the pound cake, but no thanky.) This was the whitest plate of food you have ever seen - I’m talkin’ a good old fashioned white out. It was as if the treats were non-existent, they were so camouflaged on the white plate.

Nothing says Happy Secretary’s Day like a gi-normous plate of vanilla based goodness!

I have no shame in saying I ate every last crumb and it was totally delicious.

That cake kicked the shrimp cocktail’s tail.

I came back to the office on a buzzy high of sugar, frosting, and more sugar.

The following Saturday I was at Sephora and gravitated towards the perfumes. A few years back I had received a delicious Vanilla-Grapefruit perfume that I loved. I recognized the package and sprayed it on…yummy, warm and sweet. The scent took me back a few years in time; it’s amazing how a perfume can do that. Like if I smelled stinky-old-lady Fendi perfume, I may feel like an insecure teenager again. And anytime I smell Polo cologne I think of every guy I dated between seventh and tenth grade.

But back to the good stuff…this perfume, by a company called LAVANILA Laboratories swept me off in a wave of goodness. I checked out the other scents in the line and here is what they had to offer:

· Vanilla Lavender
· Pure Vanilla
· Vanilla Grapefruit
· Vanilla Coconut

You gotta admire a company that sticks to one thing and perfects it…especially if that something is vanilla.

I put the grapefruit on one arm and the coconut on the other ~ I smelled just like my giant slab of cake!

LAVANILA uses only natural, skin-friendly ingredients that don’t irritate the skin or the senses.

At Sephora they have a mini-rollerball set featuring all four scents that is on my secret wish list, since they are all so delectable.

Next year on Secretary's Day I hope to not be a secretary anymore.
I envision myself being able to have my cake and eat it too.

1 comment: