Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Get red-y.

I always wanted to be a red lipstick type of a gal but I didn’t think I had what it took to pull it off.

When I was in junior high I bought Wet-n-Wild red lipstick the way I buy milk and bananas today (which is A LOT). Back in the day, Wet-n-Wild cost a whopping .99 cents and I don’t think the price has gone up by much. I’m not sure if they have improved their formula at all, but I clearly remember that lipstick having zero moisture and it would leave a red stain on my mouth even after I washed vigorously with Noxzema. I thought perhaps they should change the name, since it was pretty much all ‘wild’ and zero ‘wet’. I ended up looking like Robert Smith from The Cure the mornings after I wore it. What to do? Pile on another layer of the chalky stuff and head out the door.

In high school I was obsessed with Marilyn Monroe. Besides watching her films, I was intrigued by her life - how she went from being Norma Jean to becoming an icon. I loved her statuesque figure, her glamorous persona and her pouty red lips that she would blow kisses and sing "Happy Birthday" to the president with. I had posters of her in my room, and I remember one in particular where she was in a white fur coat with her striking white blond hair and fire engine red lips.

I tried wearing some sexy red lipstick in the recent past, but I am not as cool as Gwen Stefani and couldn’t seem to pull it off. I have some friends who can just rock the red lipstick; I always look a little clown-y as opposed to sexy. It always looks like I’m wearing a costume instead of just being me.

Until now.

I have found a red that works for me!

This is a red that is not just for special occasions, but for everyday. NARS Velvet Gloss Lip Pencil in Baroque is now one of my go to colors. Who would have thought red could be a go to in my make up bag? I love the chunky crayon-like stick that goes on smooth and buttery, with gorgeous color and shine. Baroque is just the right shade of berry-red, and hell yeah, I think I rock it!

This red makes me want to send you a love letter sealed with a big red kiss on the back of the envelope. Or leave a sexy kiss stain on a white collared shirt that will make you think of me in a good way, and then in a bad way when the dry cleaner tells you he can’t get the stain out (sorry.) Or blow kisses to you a la Marilyn Monroe. It makes me want to get up on stage and sing “Our Lips Are Sealed” by the Go-Go’s. It makes me feel flirty and sexy and sassy and confident.

Now that is money well spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment