Wednesday, April 6, 2011

You tell me.

What the hell is happening to my hair?

For as long as I can remember, I have stuck to a specific routine with my stylist that I am sure many of you out there can relate to - cut every six weeks, followed by a cut and color, then a cut, then cut and color again, and so on.

So again, what the hell is happening to my hair?

I recently hit a milestone birthday and something in my brain must have screamed up to my follicles, “Hey, she’s old now! Grey it up!”

So now I guess I can’t go the six weeks anymore…my roots just can’t hold out that long.

But here is the deal.

I am not a millionaire, and therefore cannot afford to get my hair colored more than I already do. I shouldn’t have to make the choice between going to the doctor or getting my hair cut and colored, but apparently that is what it has come to.

Drastic times call for drastic measures.
Hello, box of hair color from the grocery store.

At first the thought of going back to the box made me feel a little dirty. I mean, I have done it before, but that was during the high school/college years and usually resulted in disastrous effects.

Purple? Check.
Henna that made my hair orange? Check.
Sun-In sprayed so heavily that the texture of my hair resembled that of steel wool? Yup.
Red that was so red it looked like I had used a packet of cherry Kool Aid, or that my head may be bleeding? You bet!

So yes, I am afraid to go back to the box. But at this point in my life, I need a little something-something just to get me by.

So readers, I am asking for your advice.

If you have tried one of the ‘root touch up’ products that are on the market now and you want to rant or rave about it, I would love your input. What brand is best and why? Please make a comment on this post, and I will of course report back with the down and dirty details.

Do I go back to the box or do I need to get a second job to afford to see my stylist more often? You tell me.


       From a box?                            From a tube?                   From a of point of desperation.  


4 comments:

  1. I was on the same routine 6-8 weeks for cut/color at a salon. Then I got laid off and really couldn't afford the upkeep. This was in 2000, and I started to use the box. I was successful for 10 years and then decided I wanted to go a darker red...and ended up pink. I went back to a salon, (could afford it and wanted the mess fixed.) I spent the 16 months with a professional who never got it quite right. I'm back to the box as of 2 weeks ago. Less money, less time spent, (this is the part I hate most!) and surprisingly, just as good results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been going gray since I was 14! (Yes – I mean 14 – 1-4, 8th grade, braces, bad skin, 14). Today, I am a regular salon'er. But in order to not go broke I have had good success in between visits with Bumble and Bumble’s Hair Powder Spray (this stuff - http://www.bumbleandbumble.com/product/spp.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CAT72&PRODUCT_ID=179).

    It has helped me extend my time in between salon visits (sometimes I go 8 weeks) and feels much better than my old mascara or sharpie remedy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been using Loreal Preference and I really like it. The conditioner they include makes my hair feel nice and silky. I don't spend much time paying attention to my hair (which is why my grays are approximately 1 1/2 inches before I notice them and subsequently start screaming in utter horror), so I may not be the best judge of salon vs. box (I did salon for many years as well). I also hate the time I have to spend in the salon getting it done, and it's often at an inconvenient time. Last time I colored my hair was in a hotel room in Orlando! (Sorry about the towels, Mr. Marriott...). Give it a try - worst case you run right back to your stylist to fix it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicole, I know-the time! I used to find it relaxing & now I just want to get on with it! Unless they are serving me wine, then I will stay as long as they want me to.

    Anon -thanks for the bumble link! I am totally going to look into it. I wish their stuff wasn't so spendy, I adore their super-rich conditioner.

    Melissa - you are not alone, I can't believe how quickly I am seeing the 'sparkle' after I get my hair colored. Thanks for the tip, I will look into the Loreal & checking into a hotel room to do it!

    ReplyDelete