Thursday, April 28, 2011

Yes, we have no bananas.

Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don’t.

Most of the time I don’t.

I have never been a ‘mixed nut’ kind of a girl. I started eating almonds just recently because everybody says how good they are good for me. I will eat peanuts if I am at a bar and the novelty of throwing the shells on the floor exists. And cashew chicken? Sure, I’ll eat that.

Here are places where nuts should never venture:

• Cake
• Ice cream
• Banana bread

My mother makes legendary banana bread, if I may say the BEST banana bread in the world. Many have tried it and many agree, and guess what…there are no damn nuts in it.

She began making ‘The Legend’ when I was little.

The Legend is super-moist, and I have vivid memories of my brother Mike and I sitting in the living room with it on our little tray tables - mine had Wonder Woman on it and Mike’s had Spiderman. We would plop ourselves in front of cartoons and mash our pieces of buttered banana bread into greasy balls and eat them like apples. Weird, but delicious.

In high school my best friend Susanne and I ate The Legend at two in the morning after getting home from Rocky Horror. We could go through almost a whole loaf, just the two of us, before passing out, bellies full of bananas.

When I was in college mom would send a care package, and a new group of friends was introduced to The Legend. It would barely make it out of the cardboard box before it was gone.

In my early twenties when I was travelling in London I ended up at a lotion and potion place that I fell in love with called Lush. I thought Lush was handmade for me. It was like a bakery/upscale grocery store/yummy product place all in one. It was in an open air market and when you walked in it just smelled fresh and delicious. They displayed their hand made soaps like they were displaying fresh fruit in wooden apple crates. There was a refrigerated section with facial masks, bath bombs that looked like giant pastel-colored jawbreakers, and massage bars that could be mistaken for fancy chocolate bars.

This is where I discovered a cream that was so luscious and delicious, that from the moment I smelled it and tested it on my hands I knew I had to have it. Sympathy for the Skin Body Lotion smells like banana custard. The packaging totally got me - back in the day it came in a white tub with two cheeky red devils with pitchforks on it. It was like my mother’s banana bread and “Sympathy for the Devil” by The Stones got together and had a baby. YUM! I had to have this stuff. And it was extra special, because I discovered it while travelling with friends, in one of my favorite places in the world. Every time I used it back home I would think of that trip and that store and how wonderful it was. When I ran out I would order more from overseas. I felt very adult.

Today Lush is all over America, making it much easier, but not as fun, for me to get my fix.

Who knew bananas were super-emollient and moisturizing? I guess I should have, thinking back to making those banana bread balls with my brother.

My mom asks occasionally, “Do you have any rotten bananas?” She brought over a loaf of The Legend last night. Tonight I had it after dinner, toasted with vanilla ice cream on it. And tomorrow I’ll have it for breakfast again.
The Legend lives on.

Bananarama.



I have to share a good thing.


4 comments:

  1. We were blessed to receive this recipe and I still use it today. I've tried many other recipes, including some with nuts, but none compare to the Ferraro Banana Bread recipe. Plus I get to think of you, Lori and your mom when we eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am proud to say that some of my own bananas died so that this bread could be baked--- David

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have 2 rotting bananas on my counter and will make this tomorrow. I bet it's the vinegar/baking soda that must give it that umph lacking in other recipies....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shawdog-many banana bread based memories with you. Thank you for keeping the legend alive. And your mom too! Miss you.

    Anon-let me know how it turns out & if you love it (and try it warm with vanilla/caramel ice cream for the love of God...)

    ReplyDelete