Thursday, April 14, 2011

The three you need - cult favorites.

An oldie can indeed be a goodie, as proven by these three old school, hard working staples of the makeup bag.
These three have withstood the test of time, and get better with age without changing things up or messing with their formulas. Kind of like a fine wine, or Mick Jagger.

Smith’s Rosebud Salve.
I never pictured myself as a salve-y kind of girl. Generally I like products that are new and exciting; not something that was created in 1895. Smith’s has become a cult favorite and is on a variety of ‘must have’ lists that are out there. I have been using it for years in a variety of ways. Chapped lips? Yep. Dry cuticles? Yep. Diaper rash? (not on me) Yeppers. A little tin of Smith’s will last forever, since a dab will do ya. My girlfriend Laura even put it in her husbands stocking this past Christmas because he kept sneaking into her little tin. No girly smell with the salve. Get the salve, and you will wonder how you ever lived without salve in your life up until this moment. Okay, I think I never need to say or type the word salve again.

Maybelline Great Lash Mascara.
Oh my goodness, how long has the pink and green tube been around? A long-ass time! Well, since the ‘70’s, which isn’t exactly 1895 ‘salve’ long (sorry.) Great Lash is a staple in any makeup artist’s bag working on a film or television set, and the reason for its cult following is this: Simply put, it is a great, clump free, very reasonably priced everyday mascara.

Kiehl’s Lip Balm #1.
Wow, I love this lip balm. I am not kidding when I say a new tube of this simple stuff puts a big old smile on my face. This baby has been a best seller at Kiehl’s since 1969, and it’s easy to understand why. As a lip gloss fanatic, this is one I have several tubes of - one in my purse, one in my gym bag, and one by my bed. It is shiny enough to wear on its own during the weekend, and looks fantastic under or over lipstick. This product really does prevent and help heal winter-chapped lips. I suppose if I did anything athletic and outdoorsy like skiing, this lip balm would be ideal. It contains sweet almond oil and vitamins A and E. Yummy and nourishing.

So there you have it, the cult faves. Your eyes, your mouth and your baby’s bottom will all thank you for trying, I promise.

Salve-ation.

No comments:

Post a Comment