Wednesday, April 13, 2011

I walk the line.

I dig liquid eyeliner.

I love the cat eye look from the ‘60’s - not the overdone mod look, but more along the lines of Sophia Loren, Elizabeth Taylor, or Joan Holloway on Mad Men. Simple, flirty, and sexy.

Gorgeous.

What I don’t love about liquid eyeliner is that it can be messy and awkward. One slip of the brush and you look like you got punched in the face. It also doesn’t seem to have the staying power of a pencil. The color gets lighter and lighter as the day goes on, leaving me with a light grey line across my top lid which doesn’t lend to the “I am alive” look that I am going for.

A reader named Natalie asked me if I knew of a liquid liner that was in a pen form that had some serious staying power. Like me, she loved the felt tip pen version in basic black.

I was on a mission and tested three drugstore brands.

You would think that black liquid liner wouldn’t vary too much.

Guess what? It does.

Liner #1 – e.l.f. Waterproof Eyeliner Pen.

This liner caught my eye for two reasons. The package said ‘waterproof’ and it was one stinkin’ dollar at Target. I ran into the store to grab a loaf of bread and a birthday present and left like I always do when I go to Target, with things I did not intend to buy (hello Rubbermaid container and popcorn from Skedaddles). And of course, I took a walk down the makeup aisle. I had heard of the e.l.f. line (which stands for eyes, lips, face), but had never purchased anything from it.

The point on the pen of this liner was extra small and pointy. Too small, actually, as I had to draw several lines across my upper lid to make it look right. Oh, and they mean it when they say waterproof. I drew the line on my hand to test it out, and a tissue wouldn’t take it off. I looked like I had just cheated on a big exam or had some hot young thing at a bar scrawl his number across my hand. Ahhh, memories.

The color was extra black, like Halloween costume black. No likey. After I applied it I wondered how the hell I was going to get it off that night. Maybe e.l.f. makes a one dollar eye makeup remover? Nope.

Liner #2 – Cover Girl Lineexact Liquid Liner.

This is the pen that I have used before and it turns out it’s the same one Natalie had been using as well. I love the size of the pen tip and it goes on flawlessly, smooth and easy.

But…halfway through the day and the shiny black does start to fade. I say this is perfect if you are getting ready to go out on a date and want to feel sassy for a few hours, but it is not the right liner if you are looking for all-day-eight-to-five-sassiness.

Liner #3 – Revlon ColorStay Liquid Eye Pen.

Out of the three, this was my favorite. I tested it on the same day as the e.l.f. liner so I had one product on each eye, and boy, you could tell the difference. The Revlon went on so easily, in one perfect swoop of the pen, and the black wasn’t as intense as the one-buck-e.l.f., It was a perfect look for going into the office or going out at night. I dig the Revlon, eight bucks, bing-bang-boom, thank you Halle Berry.

So there you have it. Now I have one great eyeliner and my kids have two new magic markers to play with. Everybody is happy.






4 comments:

  1. Lori - I am hooked on liquid liner, but my skin has gotten SUPER sensitive in the last few years, and some of the brands made my eyelids swell up. I freaked! Luckily, Physicians Formula makes a great liquid liner that doesn't iritate sensitive skin. It may not have the "staying power" of the ones you mentioned above, but I wanted to put it out there.

    LOVE your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angela-of course a cool chick like you rocks the liquid liner! I will totally give the PF a try, I like that line, especially their eye stuff. Thank you for reading, xo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the best liquid liner is by mac. i buy the waterproof. it takes baby oil to get it off but that's good for your eyes, anyway. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Lori! I am off to the make-up counter at Target!

    ReplyDelete