Friday, April 22, 2011

Good friday.

I was raised in a very Italian, very Catholic family.

Growing up it was expected that we go to church every Sunday. It was just part of our routine, no questions asked, no fight, no fuss, no muss. You went to church, you went over to Grandma’s house, you ate a big meal and cookies and cake. Sundays were good!

Catholics like the letter ‘C’:
Communion
Confirmation
And my favorite…
CONFESSION.

As a kid I hated confession, it made me nervous. My friend Laura who is a fellow Catholic said going to confession ranks on her list of most dreaded things, right up there with shots, blood draws and pelvic exams.

I mean, when you are six years old, what do you really have to confess? I was mean to my brother. DUH. I had impure thoughts about Mick Jagger. YEP. I snuck Brachs Pick-a-Mix out of the candy bowl, hid the wrappers, rearranged the remaining candy so it looked as full and bountiful as possible, and then when asked who ate all the candy, said nothing. YOU BET I DID.

But still, I had to go into a booth and tell the priest these not-so-bad things that I had done in anonymity, and he would act like he didn’t know my voice, even though he was over at our house for coffee cake the day before. He would give me a penance of Hail Marys and Our Fathers to say, bing-bang-boom and there you have it. Cleared of all sin – absolution!

I was one of the first female altar servers at my church, St. Teresa’s Catholic Church in Briarcliff, New York. I think I was like nine or ten. Altar servers had always been boys up until this point, but if they could do it why couldn’t I? I was never the girl who wanted to be on the football or wrestling team, but an altar server? I could handle that. All I had to do was hold a little tray under peoples mouths when they received communion, light some candles, and ring a bell a few times (I loved being in charge of the bell). I thought of it as a part in a play - I got to wear a costume and everything!

To this day, I love Easter pastels - pale pinks, butter yellows, and mint-chocolate chip green. With spring and Easter in the air, here are a few goodies any girl would be lucky to find hidden away in her basket:

MAC Nail Lacquer in Mischievous Mint.
Oh my goodness how fun is this color? It makes my fingers and toes look like Cadbury Mini Eggs (the best Easter candy EVER.) It is really chip-resistant and super shiny, which I love!


Clinique Butter Shine Lipstick in Pink Goddess.
A creamy, rich, pretty pink shade with a touch of shimmer. Hey, somebody put their lipstick in my lip gloss! Somebody put their lip gloss in my lipstick! It’s like a Reese’s Peanut Butter Egg, giving you a wonderful taste of the best of both worlds.


Pink Sugar perfume by Aquolina.
This perfume makes me think of jelly beans. And cotton candy. And all sweet yummy good things. Very flirty and fun with hints of vanilla and caramel. Again, yum.


So treat yourself and have a spring fling with some of these fun pastels. And if you feel guilty about spending too much or fibbing about the box of Peeps you ate, go to confession and say a few Hail Marys. It’s all good.


Lord, hear our prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment