Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Acne Stinks.

My skin used to be bad. Really bad.

It was probably my junior year of high school when my flare-ups went from pimples to full pledged acne. I went to a dermatologist named Dr. Hendrixx, a very small man with crazy small hands who would examine my face like a hilly bumpy road map. He had a high voice with a slight lisp and a strong southern accent. He would say things in his squeaky sing-song-y voice like:

"Oooooooh, that's no goooooood"
"Oh my my my my my my my"
"I think we are going to prescribe to you just a liiiiiiiiiitle bit o' Minocin"

If you are thinking this guy sounds like a character on Twin Peaks you are right there with me. Minocin was a pill, that would supposedly help. I tried it, along with ye old grey tooth-tetracycline and a barrage of creams and lotions that dried out my skin worse than the Sahara Desert.

When I went to college my acne got better, then worse, then better again. When it was worse I would go to my dermatologist and get cortisone injections into the acne cysts. Some days it was so bad I literally felt like a human pin cushion. I still get flare ups from time to time and still get an injections to knock them out. Acne is a mean ugly little bitch.

One over the counter product that I use daily now is Neutrogena's Oil Free Acne Pink Grapefruit Facial Scrub. I love the exfoliating beady scrubbiness of it and the grapefruit smell is clean and invigorating. It helps in keeping the breakouts under control. A pimple as a teenager is mortifying. But, as an adult I am just over it.

1 comment:

  1. I SOOOOOO hear you! I cried and cried in my mid-20s over all the adult acne I was getting all over my "muzzle" for lack of a better term. I figured that I would eventually grow out of it, but that day was never coming.

    One day I was over trying to hide it and went out of the house with 11 measle-like bumps on my chin. I then cried when I got home.

    Finally a girlfriend recommended spironolactone. This little pill is meant for blood pressure but also helps with acne. It has literally changed my life!!!! I no longer run to the bathroom with foundation in hand, always scritinizing my bumps and scabs (yes I am a picker). It's cheap too since it's been around forever but you do need a prescription.

    I hate zits.

    ReplyDelete